Thursday, August 23, 2012

OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS (HDL-Good fats) are fats commonly found in marine and plant oils. They are polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are considered essential fatty acids, meaning that they cannot be synthesized by the human body but are vital for normal metabolism.

Three of the highest foods to obtain your omegas in order are:
*Walnuts (raw and unsalted of course)
*Flax seed (Ground)
*Salmon (smoked or fresh)

Also Olive oil is a great source. Use this instead of butter, other oils and cooking sprays. Eating fish and seafood such as salmon, halibut, tuna and scallops a few times a week is an easy way to increase your omega-3 intake as well.

Serving Size
 One-quarter cup of flax seeds contains about 7 grams of omega-3's while one-quarter cup of walnuts contains about 2.3 grams. In either case, the amount is pretty substantial.

One cup's worth of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides 0.2 and 1 gram between 200 and 1,000 milligrams of omega-3s.

The National Heath Institute recommends eating between 2 and 4 grams of Omega 3s a day based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

*You can put ground flax seeds and walnuts in your morning or afternoon smoothie. I always have a bowl of mixed raw nuts sitting on my counter to remind me to eat them.











4 comments:

  1. SO happy you are writing again!!! I found ground flax seed for cheap at my local whole foods market...but there are a few different kinds. Are all flax seed varieties about the same???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel. Golden flax seed are what most people like. There are brown which are sometimes not used for human consumption and have a different taste. Its best to buy them ground so they are easily absorbed into the body!!

      Delete
  2. (just realized my comments today are showing as Unknown...it's Rachel Smith :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. K I didn't know that they needed to be ground. I was eating them whole on salads & in yogurt. I think I even put some whole in bread. oh well.....now I know
    Thanks Jabula

    ReplyDelete