Monday, January 7, 2013

Homemade Baby Food-8 months

Some nutritious foods I feed my 8 month old, just a few of her favorites -Any cooked item I cook fresh with our dinner, I do store the leftovers in the fridge for no more than 3 days.  When I do cook something for my husband and I, I try to use no salt or cream (yes I use cream in moderation) until the end after I have already gotten my daughters portion out.

*Avocado and pears
*Banana, homemade applesauce and baked squash
*Papaya-She loves this
*Berries with banana
*Homemade Peaches and pears
*Kale, potato, onion
*Squash, and sweet potato
*Celery, carrot, cauliflower-mixed with stock of course
*Green peas and avocado
*Broccoli and red peppers
*Green beans and tomatoes
*Any kind of bean mixed with a veggie
*Lentils and Split peas
*Eggs and Red pepper
*Eggs, mushrooms  and cheese!

I do give her bits of chicken, beef and fish mixed into the dish. I grind all her food, the items I can't grind I break up really really small. She isnt so good at eating chunks yet. I have had a few scares.
I don't fill her with white pasta or white rice.

I try to buy food in season, it helps with the cost.

Poppy eats many more fruits and vegetables. I try to buy new things at the store and have her try them. Even if you don't like something, your child might. It's very important for their pallets to try new flavors when they are acquiring a taste for food. I believe they wont be as picky if you do this.
I try to give her a variety of colors. Eating all colors of food is very important because they get different nutrients from different colors of food. 

I mix any and all vegetables and  fruit together. Just be creative. Your child might not like the texture or taste so mask it with another texture or taste. I mix the veggies with my homemade stock (to make stock we buy a whole organic chicken and section off the meat and freeze it, then we bring to a boil, then simmer the carcass, celery, carrots, rosemary and onions overnight in about 10 cups of water) to give it some extra flavor and nutrients and she seems to love the food better. I sure would!

Its ok to use spices and herbs to liven up their bland food.
I use fresh:
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Cilantro
Parsley
Rosemary
I use dried:
Curry
Cinnamon
White pepper

Poppy is a great eater, and so was my son Ollie. I think its key to try new things and expose them to different foods. She eats Sushi, Indian, and Thai foods!

All the Western ideas have gone out the door for me. I believe a lot of allergies come from processed baby foods and things the mother was exposed to during pregnancy, or lack of every having the food. I do everything they say not to do. I give her peanuts (in India there is not a peanut allergy, and many other coutries-I think its because they are exposed to it), fish and eggs.  I ma not saying to do this, this is just what I do. I have done my research!

Honey-the spores can hold botulism-Its unsafe to introduce until the age of 1.  

I hope this is helpful for many new mothers. We are what we eat. Introduce good eating habits early on. Let me know with any comments or questions you may have, I am more than happy to help!




1 comment:

  1. Wow I love all these ideas! I can't wait to try them on my kids one day!!

    ReplyDelete